5 Tools to Power Up Your Twitter Influence
Social Warfare is the world's fastest and most intelligent social sharing plugin, engineered to increase social shares and drive traffic. Find out more.
Lately Twitter seems to be all the rage. It seems like there’s more and more people boasting about growing their followers and making mega cash on this relatively new wave of social media.
Millions of people are now a part of the Twitter community and chances are…you are too. If not, you should. I’ve found recently that a very large portion of the traffic at Site Sketch 101 is driven here through tweets and retweets in the Twitterverse. I want to do whatever I can to help you enjoy that same success at your site.
Growing as a Positive Influence…not as a Spammer
Despite being abused by link spammers it is still an amazing way to connect with other real people. In fact, Twitter is notorious for the bots that spam you with links for affiliate products or self-promotion.
As we step out into the world of Twitter let’s make sure that we set out to be a positive influence and not a shameless promoter of ourselves and our checkbooks. Let’s meet real people. Let’s make real friends. Let’s brand ourselves first and our site branding will be that much more powerful.
One of the amazing things about Twitter is that right away they developed a system for other programs to interface and communicate with Twitter on your behalf.
In other words, instead of going to Twitter’s homepage to type out a message to all of my followers, I can simply type it into a desktop application and press the enter key on my keyboard. I no longer have to have the Twitter website open to follow my friends tweets. I can be notified of them automatically.
This is great because it allows us to set up some of our tweets to go out automatically while at the same time allowing us to also be able to personally engage with other users. You need to strike up a good balance here. Too much work yourself and you are wasting valuable time. To many auto-posts and you are nothing more than a spammer who many will simply unfollow.
5 Tools to Power Up Your Twitter Influence
There are several programs that I use religiously as I work to engage with my friends and followers on Twitter. If you want to successfully connect with people and drive more traffic to your site then I highly recommend that you add a few of these tools to your arsenal.
- TweetSpinner: Tweetspinner.com offers a lot of great tools to pump up your twitter followers. The number one feature that I use at this site is the keyword following. I can type in a keyword like “blogging tips” or “problogger” and at the push of a button I will automatically follow 30 people who have used those words in one of their tweets. Then I can also unfollow people who have not followed me back. This is great because a large number of people that you follow will ultimately follow you back.
- Tweetdeck: Tweetdeck is a free download and it is an absolute must for creating genuine connections with others in the twittersphere. This program allows you to see your friends updates in near real time. This means that within seconds of your friends posting “I just got off work and I’m headed to work on my blog” you can write back “Awesome! Where’s your blog? I’d love to check it out!” These quick, personal responses are more valuable than you could even imagine.
- Tweetable: This awesome WordPress plugin allows you to auto-tweet your articles as they become published. You can include tags and you can personalize the tweet that gets sent out.
- Twitter: The best way to find out more about someone that you are connecting with is to simply check out their twitter page. This will usually reveal how much they’ve customized their page and it will reveal some important information in the sidebar including their website, location and sometimes a short bio.
- Engagement: This is the most important tool you can have. Genuine engagement will provide you with greater results than just about any other tool available. When you connect with real people as a real person then you will find people flocking to your site to find out who you are. Sell yourself and your site will be easy to sell.
Alright friends, I’ve set you up for success with Twitter. Will you do the same for me? What tools do you find most effective in building your influence on Twitter? What practices work best for you? What tools should I add to the list for next time?